Slice Of Life

Slice Of Life, is a Weblog (BLOG) that I write, in which I try to tell some sort of story about something, or someone in my life. Sometimes it's happy, sometimes not, sometimes informative, sometimes...... HA, gotcha, did ya think that I was going to say not? Don't know me very well, do ya? :=) I will try to update the BLOG from time to time, whenever I can.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chandler, Arizona, United States

My personality is outgoing, I use to be a wallflower, until I realized that it was all the outgoing people that were having the most fun. It was a tough conversion, but nobody I know today would even remotely consider me to be a wallflower. Basically, when I was young, my parents taught me that if you work hard, you can accomplish anything. I haven't quite found the "anything" part to be always true, but it has inspired me to always try to do, and be, my best.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Tom Does "Indian"

One of the things I like best about joining my Adventure Club a few years ago, is the Monthly "Cultural Dinners" that they organize. Once a month, the gang gets together at a different restaurant in the Phoenix area, for dinner and drinks. The neat thing, is we don't go down to your neighborhood McDonalds, it's always at some sort of ethnic restaurant, I guess that's where they get the title "Cultural Dinner" (get it?).

Anyway, June was awesome, because we went to a place called "Indian Delhi Palace" in Phoenix http://www.indiandelhipalace.com/ I was a little apprehensive, since I guessed that Indian would be outside my normal comfort zone, but what the heck, if I went and enjoyed that Ethiopian restaurant that time, I certainly could do Indian. Besides, one of my Indian friends recommended "Tandoori Chicken" for a first timer, so I was anticipating good food.

I wasn't disappointed. One thing I would recommend for first timers, Indian food tends to be a bit spicy, so make sure that you ask for "mild" in the spice department. Here they ask mild/medium/hot. Now I like spicy food, but to be safe I said mild, and if what I ate was mild, then hot would have probably burned out my taste buds.

There was quite a large turnout this time, with about 35 people, which is about 10 people larger then normal, so Indian must be quite popular in the club. The best thing was, that many people ordered different stuff, and since they bring the dishes in separate containers that you scoop onto your plate, and the portions were rather large, then by mutual consent, we ended up sampling everyone else dishes. I ended up having the Tandoori Chicken which I shared with 2 other people, but I also got to sample the Lamb Boti kebob, the Chicken Curry, the Daal Maharani (split lentil soup), and the Palak Paneer (curry style spinach), and I don't even like spinach! Topped off with Naan Bread, 'Milk Balls In Honey Sauce" for desert, plus 2 bottles of Indian Beer, you can't beat that for a meal that you don't have to cook.

Also, I seem to have developed a nickname around the Club... I was introduced to one nice lady, and she said "Oh, you're "The Dinner Guy". When I asked what she meant, she said that this was the nickname one of the Event Coordinators called me. Probably because I almost always show up for the Cultural Dinners. I've noticed that several of the Club members have nicknames, there's "Cowboy Bob", because of the way he always dresses, "Mr. GQ", who apparently thinks he's God's gift to women, and "Miss Fashionista" who can't seem to wear anything unless it's something like Versace or Christian Dior. So I guess being "The Dinner Guy" isn't so bad, and as a matter of fact, I sort of, kind of, like it. I think it means I must be soooooo popular :-)

Next Month.... "A Taste Of Thai". I can't wait :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Datanet
My Datanet