Slice Of Life

Slice Of Life, is a Weblog (BLOG) that I write, in which I try to tell some sort of story about something, or someone in my life. Sometimes it's happy, sometimes not, sometimes informative, sometimes...... HA, gotcha, did ya think that I was going to say not? Don't know me very well, do ya? :=) I will try to update the BLOG from time to time, whenever I can.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chandler, Arizona, United States

My personality is outgoing, I use to be a wallflower, until I realized that it was all the outgoing people that were having the most fun. It was a tough conversion, but nobody I know today would even remotely consider me to be a wallflower. Basically, when I was young, my parents taught me that if you work hard, you can accomplish anything. I haven't quite found the "anything" part to be always true, but it has inspired me to always try to do, and be, my best.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Cell Phone Takes A Bath

Word to the wise..... Cell phones do not do well in the washing machine :-)

I got rid of my land line a few years ago, so all I have now, is my cell phone. I'm not always able to hear it ring if it is on the other side of the house, so I've sort of gotten in the habit of putting it in my sweatpants pocket, if I'm just lounging around the house.

So, last week, it was the day before the first day of the workweek, which, around my house means, wash day. I wanted to get everything in the "colors", so I stripped off my sweatpants and dumped them in the washer. Yes, that means I was standing there in my underwear..... great visual, eh? Get your mind out of the gutter :-)

Anyway, one thing I forgot to do, was remove my cellphone from my sweatpants pocket. Since the cellphone was turned on, in standby mode, you can imagine what it looked like.... and worked like (NOT) after the cycle. Dead.... no functionality at all. Bummer.

I took it all apart, and sprayed it with some canned compressed air that I have for cleaning out my keyboard, and after several hours, I was able to get it to turn on. Not function, just turn on. No contact list, no battery charge, and I could see water streaks across the display. Not Good (sigh).

One of my coworkers said something similar happened to him, and what he did was put the phone on top of his TV for 3 days to dry it out. The heat from the TV cooked out the moisture. Great, I have flat panel HDTV, which doesn't generate that type of heat. However.... My Cox Cable company digital TV box seems to put out enough heat through it's cooling vents to cook an egg. So, I took my miniature Phillips screwdriver, and took apart as much of the phone as I could, and set it on top of the box overnight.

The next day, I had recovered some functionality. I could receive calls, and send them, but the charger wasn't charging the battery, and I still had no contact list. There did seem to be less moisture streaking on the display, so I repeated the "cooking procedure" a second day. This morning, the battery took a charge, but no contact list. So, I used some Isoprophyl alcohol, and cleaned the contacts of the "smart card", and reinstalled it. still didn't work, but now, it is a couple of hours into the workday, and I just tried it again, and the contact list is back :-)

So, word to the wise.... Never give your cellphone a bath...... I mean, unless you have a high temperature TV or Cable Box :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Datanet
My Datanet