Slice Of Life

Slice Of Life, is a Weblog (BLOG) that I write, in which I try to tell some sort of story about something, or someone in my life. Sometimes it's happy, sometimes not, sometimes informative, sometimes...... HA, gotcha, did ya think that I was going to say not? Don't know me very well, do ya? :=) I will try to update the BLOG from time to time, whenever I can.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chandler, Arizona, United States

My personality is outgoing, I use to be a wallflower, until I realized that it was all the outgoing people that were having the most fun. It was a tough conversion, but nobody I know today would even remotely consider me to be a wallflower. Basically, when I was young, my parents taught me that if you work hard, you can accomplish anything. I haven't quite found the "anything" part to be always true, but it has inspired me to always try to do, and be, my best.

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Karma Payback

So, I think that I might have received some Karma payback today. This morning, while I was out in the front yard, taking a look at those 2 rose bushes I planted recently, and..... they were drooping. I pushed away the leaves, and the ground was dry. That's not right, because this time of year, I water the front yard every other day, because of the fast fall plant growth that we have around here, and the bigger the rose bush, the better chance to survive the summer heat.

At the controller, I turn on zone 4 manually, nothing. I go out back to the water valves, and the solenoid is not buzzing, and it's leaking. It's the valve I just replaced just a short while back. Replacing Valve 4 means I have to cut the pvc pipe to replace it. On these multi valve set ups, that's like 3-4 hours of work.

To make sure it's the valve/solenoid, I get out my meter and measure the 28vac output of the controller terminal 4. It's dead. Bummer, that means that the controller might also be bad. I replace the controller battery, no luck. Karma sure does seem to be smacking me upside the head at this point, huh?

The controller must be replaced in any case, BUT then I recall the last time I was in the "Sprinkler Isle" in Lowes Hardware, I saw a replacement Solenoid! Could it just be that? I can't really tell where the leak is coming from, so, maybe. I have Orbit Manufacturer Valves, so off I go to Lowes, and, they have it!! Not only that, the controller they have is an identical one to mine that lasted for years before breaking, and, It's ON SALE!! I buy a controller, a solenoid, and also a complete replacement valve/solenoid combo anyway, just in case.

I go back to the house, shut off the water, clip the old solenoid wires, unscrew the old solenoid, screw in the new, strip and twist all the wires (simple for me). Swap out the bad controller for the new one, program just zone 4 for 2 minutes, turn on the house water main valve, run to the back yard and......

NOTHING IS LEAKING! The Solenoid is buzzing, so I run out front, and the rose bush dribblers..... are dribbling! It's the solenoid, NOT the valve! Reprogramming the familiar controller took 5 minutes, cleanup took another 10, and I was in such a good mood over saving myself at least 3 hours of work on my knees, in the sun, in the dirt, that I even put up my Halloween Decorations!

The controller died after many years of working, it was on sale, and a simple swap out, so that's a wash, but it sure was a nice piece of "luck", it being the  solenoid instead of the valve huh? Or was it POSITIVE KARMA PAYBACK? I'm thinking I like the latter explanation better. 😁

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Datanet
My Datanet